Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Past Awaits

December 17, morning in the year 670 by Kingdom reckoning

At the end of the month the party says it's goodbyes to new friends and acquaintances and goodbye to hot meals and warm beds and you pack your gear for the new adventure that awaits you.

It's cold, bitter cold, as the party makes its way to the site where the entrance to the mysterious dungeon once stood. You're not surprised when you discover that there is nothing there but trees and frost covered grass. Draymun is sure this is the correct spot though.

(OOC: Questions for the Party

1. Who goes? NPC's included.
2. Do you take horses? The wagon?
3. If not, who cares for the horses and where does he/she go?
4. How do you set the dials on the device?
5. Do you leave word with anyone?


As you are aware, there is a possibility for catastrophic circumstances. The things you have with you may very well be the only possessions you have from here on out. I trust you will make the preparations on your blogs for this and stick with them.

)

37 comments:

  1. ((Shade will want to set the dial 2-4 months prior to the appearance of the dungeon to be safe, but will be satisfied with one month prior if pressed.

    Shade will pack everything he owns including any potions from the group loot that have not been taken. He will also bring his mount Darkness, and his familiar Harken.

    He will ask that Alis, Hamish and Dolgi should wait for the appearance of Kheldru in Bremel between now and a month from now, and that if he does not arrive that they should then head to the mine. If he does arrive they should head to the mine. Shade makes a copy of the map to the mine for them.

    Shade believes in secrecy with such a powerful item, but understands if anyone else wants to inform the guild page or the NPCs.

    I will be packing enough supplies to last a full month in the event that something goes wrong, I would argue the same for anyone else. We may have people who can create water (depending on their spell choices) but those are basic necessities we might need to survive if things go badly.

    In addition I think everyone should provision well in terms of weapons, I myself carry a rapier, a dagger, a Quarterstaff and a light crossbow.

    Lastly, if anyone has 500gp and inquire about wands in Bremel over the last month, that may be the way to get further heals or spells. (Sam did list magic items and potions so there may not be any on the market, but it is a thought I had since it was never expressly asked.)

    Remember, 88 miles an hour precisely.))

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It goes against my better judgement to play with the streams of time for the lives of friends but I can appreciate that these people meant a lot to you... Indeed, Tom, your own life must have great meaning to you. I don't caution out of a lack of care, indeed, it is care that now drives my very thoughts. This device that you found in this time lost dungeon has the ability to move us through time... But it can also freeze us there or worse. Some of you witnessed what happened to those unprepared fools who dared to touch it. This is why I have devoted my days and hours to researching every facet of the device and every scrap of lore pertaining to it.

    I have found that the device has several settings. It can be set to move us through time based on the measurements of time we have come to know; seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years. It can also be set to move us forward or backwords in time. These are the levers that operate such and here is the switch that allows you to travel back or forth in time. My research has shown that in addition, there is a chance that if the levers are not set in exactly the right spots we may be moved either in time or space relative to the mistake. Indeed, if we are unsafe in its use we could wind up killing ourselves in the process or being frozen in place. I have asked Alis to watch over us as we depart. He can be trusted to do so and has instructions on how to free us from a temporal imprisonment or to bring the device to the guild steward for safekeeping if something should happen to separate us from it... Namely our demises.

    Before we set out I would ask that you provision well, take what you or your mount can carry from the party stores. The houseplant, the potions, whatever food stuffs you can fill your saddlebags with. We may end up in a time or place not of our choosing, we may just die... We should be prepared for anything. Let me know when you are prepared and I will begin the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "We know the dangers my friend," Thor said to the wizard, "but fighting for comrades is a noble cause. Surely Thunor will smile down upon us and guide our blades as the lightning finds the earth."

      Delete
    2. "Let's just steer that lightning away from my sandals... I like having toes."

      Delete
  3. Working with Dogli, Tom prepares all the horses for their riders and then stows the extra equipment and supplies on his old mule. After spending a week or so with the gregarious dwarf, Tom has come to understand how much he will miss not getting to know him more.

    The day the group has set to leave, Dolig steps up beside Tom.

    He says, "Lad, travel safe and you'll be back before we leave. All this time travel has my head hurting. Take care of these folks, they are as fine as you remember. That Shade fellow might be a little gruff, but I can tell the love in this group is winning him over. Thor was very persuasive about going and getting you and as you can see, they were at least some able to do it."

    Tom nods and then says, "Dolgi, you guided my new family when I was not here. You've led them well. You're right, we'll be back in a bit and we'll go see this mine together, maybe go out and do some hunting."

    As the group mounts up, Tom and Dolgi wander amongst the horses making sure the saddles and supplies are secured properly. Even though Tom has been absent for a while, he slides right into his normal role as if he hadn't been gone at all. Speaking with each of his companions, speaking softly to each. As he gets to Draymun and Thor, the talk becomes more animated and after clasping arms and slaps on the back, the three old friends and brothers in arms nod to each other and mount up.

    Tom mounts and turns his horse to face the group. Nodding to Hamish, Alis and Dolgi, he lifts his hand to his hat, gives it a tug and then turns his horse toward the spot they've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mentally checking off the items in her saddlebags and packs Rayla wonders if she’s thought of everything she’ll need for this journey. Having made up her mind to go, she’s already thinking about the expected reunion with her dear sister Rayna, the things she wants to tell her, the questions she hopes to ask.

    Still, being ripped through time and space to she knows not what does scare her a bit. Trying her best to appear more confident than she feels, Rayla nods her readiness to Shade, “Let’s get on with it then.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Shade sets the levers on the device, you each draw closer, the sense of anticipation and dread warring for supremacy. Your heart pounds as you put your hand on the shoulder of the adventurer next to you. You might be thinking of the path that led you here or praying to your deity. Finally Shade looks up and, placing his hand upon the device, he smiles expectantly and pushes the button.

    Your first sensation is one of extreme discomfort in your extremities, like your hands are in boiling water but your feet are in an ice cold lake. Even with your eyes shut, you see a brilliant blinding light, spinning and twisting like when you, as a child, would ball your fists up and shove them into your eyes to watch the colors. The heat and cold continue up your limbs until you think you may lose control from the pain. An instant before you're sure you'll be torn apart the pain stops.

    First you feel the wind blowing. It's warmer than you remember it. When you open your eyes, you see that you and your friends are standing atop a grassy sand hillock, surrounded by other similar hills for as far as the eye can see. The wind smells slightly salty. The horses rear up and nicker softly, obviously discomforted by the suddenly strange jump. Oddly enough, it's quite a bit darker than it was when you left.

    (The Roll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBp31Di0wW8 I realize I didn't say in what direction the 8 hours happened in. I flipped a coin and it was 8 hours late so it's evening on July 27th, 670.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rayla partly climbs, partly falls off her mule and throws up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thor looks as though he wants to lash out and cleave something in two, however, it is only his friends and comrades around. He instead looks around and feels an acute sensation of panic and disorientation. Spinning around, Thor attempts to scan the horizon for familiar features, but the panic in his heart drives him to turn faster and faster until he stumbles sideways and falls over. He sits upon the grass for a moment and gathers his composure before standing and asking, "Does anyone recognize where we are?"

    ((Fort Save: 1d20 + 7 = 4 + 7 = 11
    ((Not that we had to or anything, but I decided to roll a fort save to see if Thor would RP any ill effects from the time travel, and to my surprise he did!))

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the light returns to normal and Tom feels the warm wind on his face he looks around. Watching Rayla fall off her mule to puke and seeing Thor act like Thor...Tom swallows his own bile and wills himself to not puke.

    He dismounts and pulls his longbow off his shoulder and begins looking around. "Everyone alright? We need to setup a camp. It's dark, so probably night. Shade, do you have any knowledge of the stars and such? Maybe you can find out when we are...since I suspect we are at least here... Draymun, perhaps we should scout around and see if we can pick up some idea of where we are, before it gets too dark?"

    That said, Tom walks over to see if Rayla will be alright. Kneeling down beside her he hands her one of his handkerchiefs and pulls a waterskin from his pack. "Here these might help. You're on solid ground."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no knowledge of the stars, such is beyond my study but it is surely warmer than before and the land has risen steadily. Let's consult the map and try to find some landmarks to take a bearing." Shade begins to listen for signs of wildlife and look for distinctive geological formations. After several minutes he stops and turns back. "Oh yes I remember now, tis that way." When he gets inquisitive looks from his companions he says well the air smells fresher that way... When in doubt follow your nose! Oh wait, that was only the barbarian, he seems to have stepped in the mess from one of the horses."

      Delete
  9. After Twiggy agreed to go with Thor and the rest of the group, things were kind of a blur. He had no time to properly introduce himself to everyone (preferably through song) or even catch up with the wizard he recognized as Shade. Before he knew it, a fellow named Tom had given him the reins to a horse and everything else seemed to happen quicker than he was able to understand. He didn't even have time to get supplies, just whatever had been in his pack under the bar.

    Shade started fiddling with what appeared to be a magical box and the anticipation and anxiety of the group intensified. If Twiggy understood correctly, this would most definitely be his greatest adventure since leaving the Loft. He was excited but more than a little nervous. Even riding too fast on a horse sometimes made him a little gurgly in the stomach. What would he do, he wondered, if he threw up all over his beautiful entertainer's outfit?? But Twiggy looked for reassurance from Thorvald and, as instructed, placed his hand on the shoulder in front of him.

    After that the blur got worse and encompassed not just his mind but his body as well.

    When Twiggy finally felt ground beneath his feet again, he was not at all sure he could remain standing. He wobbled. He woozed. He waffled. But soon his body rebounded and he regained his balance.

    And then Twiggy pretended to faint. "Oh myyyyyyy," he said, and placed a delicate wrist against his forehead and collapsed on the ground, orange feathers shaking every so slightly, peeking with one eye open to see if anyone noticed.


    ((
    Fort Save: 1d20 + 0 = 17 + 0 = 17
    ))

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're standing on the highest dune in your general vicinity so you can see for quite a ways. The sun's position tells you it's summer and you can get your bearings from it. To the East are mountains and one particular peak catches your eye, it's a double topped mountain and you could swear it's the mirror image of the one near Bremel. That's when you realize with a start that you're in the foothills west of the mountain range, on the other side.

    You've heard stories of passes through the mountains and you thank your lucky stars that you've arrived in summer, those passes would most likely be closed in the fall or winter.

    You check the map and your heart sinks again. There are many miles of mountain range between you and Bremel. There are spots you'll have to walk the horses and there's still a risk of them breaking legs.

    (On the party map, you are due East of Bremel. You can use the map to make whatever decisions you desire.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Sorry, due West of Bremel. I got my directions messed up once and I don't want to delete the comment yet again.)

      Delete
    2. Thorvald looks at the map and attempts to determine how many days it would take to ride around the mountains to the north.

      ((Sam, I can't remember how long it takes to travel across the squares when they aren't the clear flat terrain, can you remind me for the ones we would need to cross to go around the mountains).

      Delete
    3. Each hex is 25 miles from side to side or about 32 from corner to corner. Walking unencumbered you can go 24 miles a day. Riding horses you can go 40 miles in a day. In rough terrain that doubles. In difficult terrain that is quadrupled. Currently you're on normal terrain.

      Delete
    4. ((Where can I find the map, guys? There's a "Known World" map but it doesn't help me figure out where we are and where we're going. Thanks!))

      Delete
    5. (There's one on Draymun's blog, near the bottom. He even made a fancy one!)

      Delete
  11. Shade gathers the party and horses around, speaking more steadily now that the feelings of being ripped through time fade. "We know our goal and our path lies before us. Let us set out with some haste for our destination. These lands are known to be unsafe at the best of times and I fear that with summers warmth upon us the fouler things of this world will be emboldened."

    "We should let Tom take the lead, if he wishes, to spot safe trails and to avoid unsafe ground for the horses that could leave them lame. The rest of us will follow but I think it wise if we have Thorvald and Draymun on our flanks... Their experiences in the wilder parts of the world will aid us. Come Twiggy! You and I have time to catch up, and after that experience I could use a song. Ride with me and tell me of your crossing of the sea and your tales in between. I was remiss that we hadn't time for a proper chat. Ha! Time! Listen to me rant and rave, have you met Ray? She makes an excellent tea. Do I talk overmuch? Normally our red haired brute threatens my head on a pike if I go on overlong. I'm sorry where are my manners, you haven't met my bird Harken. Do you like birds?..." Shade continues rambling on, overjoyed at the prospect of having his old friend back, so much so that he barely leaves him space to get a word in edgewise. As he turns his horse for the path he doesn't even notice if the party follows his suggested order or if indeed they even tag along... So intent is he on his own voice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shade and Twiggy excitedly begin reminisce and share experiences as the group moves forward. From his position at the rear of the column Thorvald is able to hear it all and listens with interest. As night begins to fall Tom finds a place to set up camp for the night. The seasoned travelers don’t even have to talk about the details as bedrolls are unfurled and horses are rubbed down. They know without speaking of it that a fire would be seen for miles, so no fire is built. Rayla and Shade take the first watch of the night.

    The rest of the group soon falls asleep to the sounds of Shade and Twiggy still whispering excitedly about their adventures. (Thorvald and Twiggy will take second watch. Draymun and Tom will take the morning watch.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (We'll move toward the twin peaks we recognized and decide whether to go through or around the mountain as the day progresses tomorrow.)

      Delete
  13. You travel for 2 more hours before the sun sets behind the mountains and you decide to set up camp. One dune is much like another and the only thing that hinders your preparation for the night is the intense wind that starts up as soon as the sun is gone. More than once a tent is nearly lost to the whipping winds and you have to scout around for rocks to secure your flaps and ground cover.

    The night is warm, however, and it's pleasant enough to sit and chat and watch as the stars come out.

    Things pass uneventfully until, during the third shift, Draymun hears a scuttling noise quite close to the camp and stands up to look. What he sees appears to be a carpet running up the dune toward you. It is 40 feet away and moving toward you at a medium pace.

    (Please don't respond with perception checks, what I've posted is the result of those rolls.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Draymun let's out a low whistle to alert Kumo to the strange appearance and points for him to circle around the carpet from the shadows.

    Making no attempts to hide himself, he steps forward and reaches out with his mind to see beyond sight.

    ((Detect Magic))

    ReplyDelete
  15. As you stand and raise your hand (or open your third eye or whatever you do to Detect Magic) Tom notices and is alerted that something weird is happening (Tom you may act.)

    You detect no magic from the strange mass and as it moves closer, you begin to hear a chittering noise. It is 35 feet away from the camp and it stretches at least 20 feet across.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tom hears the chittering and alerts the camp that something is approaching. Reaching into the fire, he lights a torch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The torch flares to life and you hold it aloft.

      You see thousands or tens of thousands of black eyes, shining out of the darkness. The "carpet" turns out to be a roiling mass of large brown rats with long, yellowed teeth.

      Delete
    2. Shade hears Toms warning and comes forth, seeing the approaching mass of rodents. "Rats? Why did it have to be rats?!" With that Shade sets his raven Harken free to fly above the pests and commands him to watch for other signs of trouble, and then he falls back behind the sturdier looking fighters. "I don't know about you all but they say when rats run, they run from something worse, keep your eyes peeled!"

      Delete
  17. Within your tents, you hear Tom shouting the alarm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hearing Toms alarm and Shades warning of rats, Rayla rolls out of her blanket and catching up her weapons and pack lunges out of her tent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thor awoke at the first sounds of alarm and rolled over to feel to comforting steel of Thunor's Vengeance. Sheathing his blade, he took a brief moment to grab a torch from his sack, and then he hustled out of his tent to where Shade stood. Lighting his torch, Thor watched as the flame made the shadows dance across the landscape. Thor listened as Shade cursed the rodents and in an uncharacteristically optimistic moment. "It could be worse," he replied, "it could be spiders."

      Turning back to the problem at hands Thor considered it a moment. "Steel will do us little good against these creatures. We should try the flame, as they will undoubtedly flee in the face of a fiery death. "Pass out the torches," Thor called out, turning back to the camp to see Twiggy scamper up a tree. "Or follow Twiggy's lead. They can't harm what they can't reach."

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Standing behind the wall of muscle that is Thorvald, Shade gains the courage to light his lantern and hold it aloft, allowing the light to spill over the barbarian and beyond, casting a shadow more fitting of a giant. "Yeah, if it were spiders you wouldn't be seeing me around here. The cowled caster pulls forth his slender wand and readies himself for the oncoming storm."

      Delete
    2. Twiggy awakes with a start at the same time the others do. Not entirely understanding what a "swarm" is, but keen to the alarm in Tom's voice, Twiggy prepares for the worst. Trees were his home for 100 years of his life so he shinnies up the nearest tree and considers his options.

      ((I'm assuming during this preparation phase that I can climb up to relative safety and cast Grease from there.))

      Delete
    3. You could climb a tree, if there was a tree. Sadly you're out on dunes right now. The highest plant life is scrub that comes to your thighs.

      Delete
    4. Twiggy gets in behind Draymun and draws his dagger.

      Delete
  20. Rayla digs out her 4 flasks of oil tossing two of them to the ground at 10 and 2 o'clock. she hands the other 2 off to Tom and Thorvald. "Light 'em up, Shade!"

    ReplyDelete
  21. Getting a clearer picture of what he's facing, Draymun decides to switch tactics. With a holler, he calls Kumo back to his side as he watches Rayla throw out a few oil flasks.

    "They'll cut right through before we get a chance to light those! Unless...." he suddenly jerks to his side as Kumo let's out a roar toward the coming mob. "Yes! We need to slow them down. I've got this. Everyone, prepare yourselves!"

    Placing both hands firmly on the ground in front of him, Draymun begins to chant almost inaudibly before a small ripple erupts from his location toward the rats, summoning the scrub plants to create a barrier between the opposing forces.

    "That should give us a few more moments. Skin of our teeth... just like old times, eh, Tom!"

    (( Entangle, centered on the rats' current location. With a 40' radius, that should keep it away from the party and make them have to save twice. If that will actually hit us, move it back so that it won't. Either way, they should have to save twice, I believe, if not 3 times at their current rate of movement! ))

    ReplyDelete